Re: Straw man agenda

Willie:

This agenda looks good, but here are some things I'd like to see more
focus on:

+ There are many a11y components, and it seems like not many people
  understand some of them.  java-access-bridge, the registry daemon,
  etc.  It would be nice to get an overview of how all the components
  fit together, and how to approach mapping a bug to the responsible
  component, and how to debug each component.

+ I think a *lot* of a11y bugs are really the same sort of problems
  that you see over and over again.  Programs that do not have
  accessible labels for widgets, for example.  Perhaps it would be
  useful to pick a few bugs that are examples of the common a11y bugs
  that exist and do an exercise where we demonstrate the bug (how to
  see that the bug exists), and then actually fix the bug.  Probably
  lots of these kinds of bugs are simple 1-line fixes, and if we showed
  people that it is actually easy to identify and fix these sorts of
  bugs (if you know how), then perhaps we would find more community
  involvement in getting these sorts of issues addressed.

I think it would be more useful to have two tracks instead of just one.
One track for people interested in doing development in a11y and
one for people interested in making their application(s) better support
a11y.  I think only people interested in doing active a11y development
would be interested in current a11y gaps.  Probably most people's time
would be better spent helping to get them to understand how to get more
involved with fixing existing bugs, and what they should be doing to
make sure their applications are reasonably accessible.  If we only do
1 track, I think we should minimze the time we spend talking about
future pie-in-the-sky things when there is so much work to do just
getting what already has been implemented to actually work.  I think
this is perhaps the most important thing, and isn't reflected at all
in your 3-bullet breakdown of the day...

>     * What do we have?
>     * What do we need?
>     * How do we get there?

Brian

After consideration of all the suggestions from the community (THANKS!),
I've put together a straw man agenda for the Accessibility Summit for
October 8, 2006, as part of the GNOME Boston 2006 Summit:

    http://live.gnome.org/Boston2006/AccessibilitySummit

The agenda is still up for discussion, so please send your comments.

Thanks!

Will
(Your happy chair)