Re: installing edgy

Hi,
Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
Thomas, is this something we could place in multiverse (our non-free repository) so that people don't have to compile it? And would you be willing to maintain it? ;)

Yes, I think we could do that and something I have been strongly thinking about. The catch is the person compiling the driver of course needs the commercial synth to compile, which I have, so I could certainly roll you a package once I knew how to make a *.deb package for Ubuntu. I think this is an extremely good idea, and is frankly far passed do in the Linux comunity. I can see some advantage of this. The default Ubuntu install cd comes with the basic open source festival tts and drivers, but if someone decides to purchase commercial tts products like dectalk all they need to do is apt-get a commercial package of gnome-speech, reconfigure orca, and away he/she goes. Just let me know which tts engines you wish to have supported in the package. Festival and Dectalk 5 I can do right now. I am thinking of buying Cepstral voices for my own use so I could include their drivers as well as soon as I know which Cepstral voices are supported by Gnome-speech.