Re: Orca now running on AMD64 with latest Edgy installation

Hi Bill,

In case someone gets motivated, I think the relevant AT-SPI methods (for determining the language/locale of UI components), and gnome-speech methods (for determining the locales/langs which a TTS engine can speak) are these:

Accessibility::Application:getLocale  (the locale of the running app)
Accessibility::Image:imageLocale (useful for determining the locale of ALT text/imageDescription) Accessibility::Document:getLocale (for when the document specifies a locale different from the viewing app) Accessibility::Text:getAttributeRun (text tagged with a different LANG will have an explicit LANG attribute)

this might be neither useful nor necessary. I guess it would be acceptable if the user switches languages using a key combination. The reason I am saying this is that most multilingual users have a default locale which they don't change when working in another language temporarily. On Windows for instance I work in German 95% of the time and when having to write in English I just change the speech manually by pressing a couple of keys, not the locale as such. There's absolutely no way for the underlaying accessibility system to figure out that I currently write an english text.

GNOME::Speech:SynthesisDriver:getVoices(in VoiceInfo) - see GNOME::Speech:VoiceInfo.language

The latter call to gnome-speech can be used to find a speaker suitable for a particular locale/lang.

This is something we'll definitely need i.e. get a choice of english voices when English is chosen as the syntehsizer language etc.

Btw: I am not a braille user but I do know that there are also locale considerations for Braille, not just for speech.

I will have a look at the API on one of the upcoming rainy weekends ;-)

/Roland