Re: Orca now running on AMD64 with latest Edgy installation

Willie Walker wrote:

Hi Roland:

Glad to hear the gnome-speech thing just worked itself out without
requiring mods to gnome-speech. :-)
Dynamic language detection/switching is definitely an interesting thing
to consider adding to Orca.  Right now, however, it's not really on the
core team's radar screen - we're still going to be busy fleshing out the
really important stuff, such as access to the web via Firefox 3.  In
addition, we don't have much experience with simultaneously handling
multiple locales, so we might not be qualified to do the work.

If someone in the community were so inclined, however, to create a patch
to allow this, I think I'd be happy to review it.  ;-)
In case someone gets motivated, I think the relevant AT-SPI methods (for determining the language/locale of UI components), and gnome-speech methods (for determining the locales/langs which a TTS engine can speak) are these:

Accessibility::Application:getLocale  (the locale of the running app)
Accessibility::Image:imageLocale (useful for determining the locale of ALT text/imageDescription) Accessibility::Document:getLocale (for when the document specifies a locale different from the viewing app) Accessibility::Text:getAttributeRun (text tagged with a different LANG will have an explicit LANG attribute)

GNOME::Speech:SynthesisDriver:getVoices(in VoiceInfo) - see GNOME::Speech:VoiceInfo.language

The latter call to gnome-speech can be used to find a speaker suitable for a particular locale/lang.

Best regards,

Bill

Thanks!

Will