[henrik ubuntu com: Re: still can't boot edgy!!!]

Henrik,

Sorry if this is a double post. But I think mailman or mutt isn't
working quite right when replying.

Anyway, my first reply asked for clarification on this. I would
like to know exactly how to disable the splash on the edgy cd. I
have not had good luck with this on 2 out of the 3 Dell systems
that I am attempting to run it on.

I did cheat and got sighted assistance to install dapper and then
upgraded to edgy with a dist-upgrade. I must say that I am
thoroughly pleased with what I am seeing. I have a few issues,
like nautilus not keeping the focus tracking well. But hey if
that's all i can complain about it's got to be good.

Thanks,

Keith

----- Forwarded message from Henrik Nilsen Omma <henrik ubuntu com> -----

From: Henrik Nilsen Omma <henrik ubuntu com>
Subject: Re: still can't boot edgy!!!

Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> I am totally puzzled about this. Dapper Drake boots fine on my main
> linux computer; so does grml so it's not my cdrom causing the
> problem. the ppc version of ubuntu boots fine on my mac--never mind
> that I can't get sound to work and can't get brltty to work--it does
> boot all the way. however, I'v been trying the daily build of edgy
> now for several days and it simply will not boot; my computer just
> keeps rebooting so the cdrom isn't being ignored but it isn't
> booting. Any suggestions or ideas what could be wrong? I'm burning
> correctly and checksums are ok.

Some PPC images were oversized for a while, but Knot2 is known to be good.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/edgy/knot-2/

There is one mention of boot problems in the release notes:

  * The new version of usplash seems to cause the desktop CD to fail
    to boot for some people, if you experience that, removing "splash"
    from the kernel command line might help.

Are you able to tell if it gets to the first boot screen at all? (we
will soon have a helpful sound for that, btw).

- Henrik