Re: Fwd: others?Fwd: Open Source OCR

Krister Ekstrom wrote:
On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 15:26 -0400, David Poehlman wrote:
there is also GOCR and Ocrad

which are open source.

I haven't tested any of those, but at least as it sounded from the
description of GOcr, it didn't support columns nor fonts. I don't know
how this affects for example the recognition of text documents and a11y
and so on, but it doesn't sound ... ahem good. Please correct me if i'm
wrong somewhere. and a question, is there any way to control OcrAD from
within Gnome other than from a terminal?
The ocr engine is the important thing. The gocr engine, at least, has been described as not sufficiently powerful for our needs - whereas the tesserect engine seems to be pretty good.

If the engine is good, and freely licensed, then adding things like column support is not that difficult (compared to writing a new/better engine from scratch). While there may be some debate about the GPL-compatibility of the Apache license, it looks to be 'Debian-free' to me. There is some non-free code that needs to be removed, as Luke noted, but it seems not to be used at all in the existing tarball, it's just leftover vestigial code.

regards

Bill

/Krister