Re: Open Source OCR

Hi Folks:

I just downloaded, built, and tested this OCR engine.

It is really pretty good, and it was very easy to build. At the moment it is a bit limited (requires TIFF format, 8 bit depth, and doesn't understand columns etc.) but the limitations don't seem to be in the engine, only in the bells and whistles.

I think it could prove to be very useful for certain accessibility applications. Of course in a more perfect world we would not need to do OCR at all...

best regards,

Bill

Steve Lee wrote:
It was noted at the Accessibility Summit, http://tinyurl.com/uqen3,
that a high quality FOSS OCR is needed and I remember reading earlier
that Google have OSed Tesseract.

It's on a Apache 2.0 License.

-- Steve Lee
www.oatsoft.org