Re: Hands Free Mouse Issues

Hi Anna,

There are two head-mice that present themselves as USB mice: the Madentec Tracker (see http://www.madentec.com/products/comaccess/tracker/tracker.html) and Origin Systems HeadMouse (see http://orin.com/access/headmouse/index.htm). Both cost roughly $1,000.

There are lots of other devices for Windows that are less expensive, but to my knowledge all of them require software/drivers on the PC to work. In addition, these more inexpensive devices tend to not work as well in challenging lighting conditions, are less forgiving of unintentional head movement, and are generally not as smooth.

It would be great to have these inexpensive options supported on UNIX (anyone wanna writer a driver?), but that isn't today.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Hi Everyone,
I hope you are enjoying the beginnings of autumn (if you are in the
Northern Hemisphere) or spring (in the Southern Hemisphere).

I am trying to make a purchase decision, and I need some advice from
you. Does anyone here use a hands-free mouse? I need to buy a
head-controlled mouse, and I am not sure which models (if any) might
work easily with Linux/Gnome.
I found a few options from a company called NaturalPoint
(http://www.naturalpoint.com/) ; can anyone here share information about
how well these have worked for you? Actually - is there a master list of
ATs that work well under Gnome someplace on the web? I'd love to refer
to it... Thanks in advance for your help! regards, Anna