Problems with Orca and Gaim and BRLTTY

Hello all,
OK, I have now installed Ubuntu 6.10. During the installation process Orca crashed so I had no speech. I waited for some time and restarted the machine.
it booted into Gnome and I could login. However, when I configured Gaim with my MSN messages were not read automatically. Had to use the Orca navigation keys to read them.
Also, I cant seem to be able to start BRLTTY. Do I need to be logged in as root in order to do that?
I tried sudo brltty -b=ts but with no luck. Any help is apreciated!
Many thanks,
Christian