Re: docked window mode in GOk and SOK

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 13:47, Chris Jones wrote:
> Agreed but it will do for now.
>
> Are there any plans for a new WM API.  I don't think we can just leave this.

The wm-spec-list gnome org is the place to take the discussion.  Good
luck convincing folks of the value of multiple docks on the same edge of
the screen, though... seems like a usability misfeature.  At least where
GOK was concerned it seemed preferable to reduce the number of panels.
The second panel in Gnome doesn't add much functionality that couldn't
be achieved by just combining the two panels.

Of course you can also work around this by putting both Gnome panels on
the same edge of the screen, which arguably would result in better
usability anyhow.  I think there is value in having the onscreen
keyboard sit "on its own", having it share the edge with a panel means
it's harder for the user to quickly scan for the desired characters.

Bill