Gnome and Ubuntu 6.06?

Hi, list.
This might seam like a really stupid question, but I have been hearing allot about Ubuntu Linux which I'd like to try, and don't have a fricking clue on how to get it up and working. I have spent hours reading the Ubuntu sight and can't even find a basic install guide for it. So here is the question. What do I need to get a basic Ubuntu system up and running with gnome 2.14 and gnopernicus or orca? While I am at it it might help to tell me what disk I need the desktop, server, or other disk image. I've already got the desktop disk and can't figure how to install it nor can I find the packages on the disk so I am all screwed up with this distribution. As I said I need someone to help me with the very very very basics of even stalling, setup, and telling me what is what. I know nothing about Ubuntu and they have like 0 setup and install guides that I can find.
Any help?
Thanks.