Re: Fixing gnome-speech

Hi Hynek, All:

I'm not sure I agree that speech engines should not do their own audio
output.  While I think you have identified some real problems with that
approach, it's not clear that the ".wav file" approach has a low enough
latency.  If tests show that latency is not a problem, then passing the
synthesized audio bits to the driver for processing (perhaps via
multiplexing/mixing in most situations, or for pre-emptive audio in
others) does seem to have advantages.

Hynek, I think you've also identified a good reason for one of the "many
layers" in our architecture... we don't really want a bug in the speech
engine to crash our TTS service.  Using a C API, even when licenses
permit, usually means sharing process space with the driver, and for
many drivers the code is closed-source, making diagnosis and recovery
very difficult indeed.  In such a situation we probably need to
implement the process-space separation in our own TTS architecture, so
that we can restart the engine when things go badly wrong.

regards

Bill