Re: Fixing gnome-speech

Enrico Zini wrote:
> Hello,
> In the meantime, however, before I hurt my brain too much with this,
> what's the overall situation?  Is it worth the effort of fixing
> gnome-speech, or is the effort better spend on making something else
> work?

Hi Enrico,

I'm currently working on Speech Dispatcher backend for Orca.  This
bypasses the Gnome Speech layer completely.  Since Speech Dispatcher
offers several speech synthesizers not supported by Gnome Speech, this
may be essential for some people and the Orca -> Gnome Speech -> Speech
Dispatcher -> synthesizer aproach has inherent problems.  This might
solve your problem too.

Please, see also the common "TTS API" draft at  This is a common effort of Free
Desktop and FSG.

Best regards, Tomas

Brailcom, o.p.s.
Free(b)soft project