Re: [g-a-devel] Slow keys dialog

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 21:43, Chris Jones wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> The system-wide StickyKeys is too inflexible for my needs.  I have the
> following gripes:
>   * A user might want the onscreen keyboard to be sticky but not the physical.

I am not convinced that users will really want this, perhaps this is
your opinion.  It is still an accessibility violation to interfere with
the way the built-in keyboard accessibility features work.

>   * It does not allow me to implement the functionality in a way that
> is suitable for an onscreen keyboard.  My implementations uses one
> click to set sticky for one
> click of a non sticky character, a further click sets sticky until a
> third click or the stuck key.

The system dialog settings work this way on most systems.

>   * The sticky keys dialogue is annoying.  A far better way would be
> to enable it in the preferences, since you must to  enable assistive
> technology support and be notified of it's act/deactivation by a
> notification bubble.

You can already turn this off, but it needs to be the default for new
desktops/new users, in order to allow users who need it to turn it on
via the keyboard shortcuts.

>   * This is not purely a a11y project.  It has other uses, tablet PCs
> etc.  Therefore I wanted a soft dependency on assistive technologies.

The StickyKeys feature is not an assistive technology, per se.  However
it is a standard platform feature.

>   * GOK's implementation is very unreliable on my system, and not
> something I particularly want to emulate.

Have you filed any bug reports?

ALL onscreen keyboards will suffer from problems if they use the system
core pointer for input, because of pointer grabs which virtually every
GUI toolkit does.

> I know I should fix these gripes instead of treading my own path.
> However, this is a Summer of Code project and so I need to produce the
> expected results before a deadline.
>
> In other words I cannot spend the summer making gnome-a11y suitable
> for my needs.  What I need is a temporary work around until after the
> SoC when I could find time to work on this aspect of gnome-a11y and
> fix my program so it is not an "accessibility violation".

I suggest you use the system gconf keys for sticky keys.

regards

Bill