Re: accessebility suggestion for Ubuntu 6.06 LiveCD

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 11:21, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
> Bill Haneman wrote:
> > Hi Petra:
> >
> > In the most recent versions of Gnome, assistive technology support is on
> > by default.  The access keys idea is a reasonable one, and I think it
> > would greatly improve the Ubuntu accessibility experience for screen
> > reader and onscreen keyboard users.
> Agreed. For the on-screen keyboard we can even do this now because our
> new on-screen keyboard does not need AT-SPI to run.

The "new onscreen keyboard" does not meet the needs of many
mobility-impaired users.   GOK should be bundled with the LiveCD - once
some configuration issues are dealt with.

> Orca will also run
> without AT-SPI but only with a very limited set of applications (like
> itself). Having a way to dynamically load AT-SPI would be great!

I am not sure this is the best technical way to solve the problem.  IMO
for anything other than shared use kiosks, it makes more sense to put
the "access keys" in the login screen such that the AT-SPI support is
automatically loaded in the user's session.

> > We have something similar in the
> > gdm login screen (though it requires configuring when the system is
> > first set up), which allows certain "gestures" to start assistive
> > technologies.
> >
> I clearly need to look more closely at this. It's a very cool feature.
> > I'd be interested to know what your primary complaints with gnopernicus
> > magnification are.  It is possible to configure a system for fullscreen
> > magnification using gnopernicus, and although the results aren't as
> > "snappy" for mouse use as some commercial Windows magnifiers, it is
> > basically functional and follows both mouse and keyboard focus (at least
> > when properly configured).
> We are also working on a compiz-based magnifier which would improve
> performance, but unfortunately work is slow on this.

Henrik - Carlos Diogenes is working on adding Composite to gnome-mag,
which would make it work as a drop-in enhancement.  You probably should
ping him about this, it makes little sense to duplicate work.

regards

Bill