Re: question about odd distro

Hi Cody,

> I was wondering, after a bit of googling, I found this distro called Ocularis,

It looks like Ocularis is dead. Their SourceForge webpage l
( http://ocularis.sourceforge.net/) leads nowhere.

In situations like this, I always use the Wayback Machine
( http://www.archive.org ). Think of it as archives of the Web.

If I type in "http://ocularis.sourceforge.net/"; and then select the
last archived link given for March 27th 2005, it takes me to:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050307094047/http://ocularis.sourceforge.net/

On that page is a link for

http://web.archive.org/web/20050307094047/http://www.oralux.org/

If you go to the "up to date" version of that link:

http://www.oralux.org/

you'll find the home page for project Oralux.

This appears to be the follow-on project to Ocularis, and is described as:

"Audio GNU/Linux distro for visually impaired persons".

There is some information on their web site about the CD:

     About the CD

Oralux is a Knoppix customization, the self-installing distro created by Klaus Knopper.

Oralux boots up from the CD, whatever the already installed operating system (Win98, XP,...) may be.

Oralux includes, thanks to BRLTTY, a number of braille drivers.

     The audio environments

The Oralux user interface can be based on Emacspeak the Audio Desktop created by T. V. Raman. Emacspeak offers a complete and powerful desktop.

A second environment is available based on Yasr, the lightweight and portable screen reader by Mike Gorse.

The third environment is based on Speakup, by Kirk Reiser and Andy Berdan. Speakup is a kernel-based screen reader for external or software synthesizers.

The CD includes several voice synthesizers in English, French, German, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish. More info in FAQ.

Oralux can install the DECtalk software synthesizer (4.6.4 or 5.0), a multi language TTS from the Fonix company.