Re: test-speech only works for root

On Thu, January 26, 2006 00:28, Willem van der Walt wrote:
> Try to check if a normal user can play a sound file.
> If not correct that first and try again.
> I suspect that might be your problem.
>
> Regards, Willem
>
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Donald Raikes wrote:
>
>> I just installed gnome-speech-0.3 on my fedora core 3 system as a part
>> of
>> garnome 2.12.2.1, and now when I run test-speech (either the newly
>> created
>> one, or the original from the os installation), it only works for root.
>>
>> If i use another user, I get the message:
>>
>> attempting to activate
>> OFIID:Gnome_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Festival:proto0.3
>>
>> and the system hangs.
>>
>> Any suggestions appreciated.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Don Raikes
>> http://www.draikes.com
>>

> --
> This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright, terms and conditions and
> e-mail legal notice. Views expressed herein do not necessarily represent
> the
> views of the CSIR.
>
> CSIR E-mail Legal Notice
> http://mail.csir.co.za/CSIR_eMail_Legal_Notice.html
>
> CSIR Copyright, Terms and Conditions
> http://mail.csir.co.za/CSIR_Copyright.html
>
> For electronic copies of the CSIR Copyright, Terms and Conditions and the
> CSIR
> Legal Notice send a blank message with REQUEST LEGAL in the subject line
> HelpDesk csir co za

> MailScanner,
> and is believed to be clean.  MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for
> their support.

Actually, I thought of that and yes a normal user can play a sound file
just fine.

I did a little mre experimenting, and one of the users (the original user
setup after creating the system) can use test-speech successfully.

This is the only user I ever used the version of gnome shipped with fedora
core.