Re: test-speech only works for root

Hi Don:

This certainly 'smells' like a permissions problem. I believe the Festival gnome-speech server relies on the ability to write to a particular port, perhaps 7000? I am sure someone else on the list can provide that detail. My guess is that root has write access to that port, but not the normal user group.

Perhaps someone else recalls offhand which port Festival uses and how to quickly check those permissions... normally non-root programs can access ports numbered above 1024, but perhaps your system is set up differently?

regards,

Bill

Donald Raikes wrote:

I just installed gnome-speech-0.3 on my fedora core 3 system as a part of
garnome 2.12.2.1, and now when I run test-speech (either the newly created
one, or the original from the os installation), it only works for root.

If i use another user, I get the message:

attempting to activate OFIID:Gnome_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Festival:proto0.3

and the system hangs.

Any suggestions appreciated.

TIA,
Don Raikes