Re: java access bridge

George Kraft IV wrote:
>From the "Orca, OO writer and terminal" thread regarding the java access
bridge for GNOME...

As far as I can tell, none of the distros are providing a package of the
java access bridge for GNOME.  I believe some folks are running a JVM
that they have obtained from somewhere, but are not accessible because
they don't have an access bridge.  Is there a strong enough
justification to convince the distros to provide this package?
Hi George:

I'm not sure. If the distros start shipping the Sun JVM, then I think the Java Access Bridge for Gnome (JABG) should also be shipped. But the JABG may not work for all VMs, for instance some VMs don't provide the javax.accessibility packages on which JABG depends. I don't know about all VMs - those that provide Swing and javax.accessibility should theoretically work with JABG, and apps do require JABG in order to be accessible to assistive technologies on Linux/Unix.

In any case the JABG could do with some dusting off and maintenance - IF distros and users start to make use of it. The recent license announcements/changes for the Sun JVM may have given this issue new life.

Bill
George (gk4)