Re: ubuntu and software synthesiser

Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
Bill Haneman wrote:
Michael:

You can use orca with DECtalk. To do so, you will need to rebuild gnome-speech, since by default the DECtalk driver is not built and installed. I believe that gnome-speech will build and install the DECtalk drivers if DECtalk is detected on your system when you build.

I will leave it to Will to explain how to select a TTS engine in orca's preferences.

Is there a way we can make this more user friendly? Are there licensing reasons why gnome-speech is compiled without DECtalk support or technical ones? If it's a question of some compile flags then I can ask our packagers to make a DECtalk-enabled version available.
I believe the issue is that you can't build DECtalk support without the DECtalk headers, and we can't distribute those for legal reasons.

It may be possible to create a separate gnome-speech/DECtalk driver package, with a license other than LGPL (maybe BSD?) but I think this would probably require Fonix's explicit consent.
Bill

Henrik