Re: ubuntu and software synthesiser

Michael:

You can use orca with DECtalk. To do so, you will need to rebuild gnome-speech, since by default the DECtalk driver is not built and installed. I believe that gnome-speech will build and install the DECtalk drivers if DECtalk is detected on your system when you build.

I will leave it to Will to explain how to select a TTS engine in orca's preferences.

regards

Bill

MICHAEL WEAVER wrote:
I am hoping to upgrade Ubuntu on my laptop next week from Dapper to Edgy.
I can use the default software synthesiser but I am not all that keen on it especially
as one of the Linux groups I attend is in a fairly noisy pub.
Could anyone suggest a suitable software synthesiser and how to install it?
I have the Dectalk which I am hoping to get working but if I can't get it working
with Orca I need to find out an alternative.