ubuntu and software synthesiser

I am hoping to upgrade Ubuntu on my laptop next week from Dapper to Edgy.
I can use the default software synthesiser but I am not all that keen on it especially
as one of the Linux groups I attend is in a fairly noisy pub.
Could anyone suggest a suitable software synthesiser and how to install it?
I have the Dectalk which I am hoping to get working but if I can't get it working
with Orca I need to find out an alternative.