Re: can't get multimedia working with any browser

Hi Thomas, Jude,

We've found a number of problems with speech on our systems (FreeTTS), and with the general speech subsystem going away for various reasons (not all tracked down). To best address this, the very latest versions of Gnopernicus in CVS (as of the last ~3 weeks and most recently a fix late last week) now aggressively restart speech if it ever dies.

Perhaps this is at least some of the problems you are encountering? If so, you might try the latest code...

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team

Thomas Ward wrote:
Hi Jude,
I can tell you that your problem is not unique, and it doesn't seam to be
memory related. I have ran Fedora and Mandriva with systems of 512 MB or
greater and Gnopernicus 0.9.12 and greater seam to high dive for no reason
at all.
An example I was opening evolution like I did several times that day, and
suddenly gnopernicus bit the dust. No speech, no responce, and wouldn't even
exit properly. I crashed out of x, logged back in, and gnopernicus says it
can't load festival.
I ended up rebooting the machine. Which I do about four times a day on
average do to gnopernicus high diving and not coming back for one reason or
another.
To bad I can't use mozilla, Open Office, and other gui apps at the shell as
I would happily stay there with speakup or something than put up gnopernicus
crashing about 5 times aday.
Anyway, I wouldn't recommend using Firefox as it simply doesn't work with
gnopernicus. I am currently adding multimedia for Mandriva, and I am hoping
to plug it in to Sun Mozilla. I'll be sure to let you know if I get
something reasonable working in x.
Hth.