can't get multimedia working with any browser

Having downloaded and installed mailcap-stuff.tar.gz I first tried listening to a realplayer stream using lynx. No go, display wasn't set. Okay no problem I figure I can go into xwindows and use gnopernicus and maybe firefox or epiphany. Maybe one of those browsers will work but hitting the f7 key to try to get some screen output seems on this system to actually be the crash gnopernicus immediately key. I could understand the desire of gnopernicus to do a high dive if all that was on this system was 128MB of ram which was the case earlier this week. However there's now 416MB of ram available in lower memory and this is happening. This is a fedora core 3 installation that has been modified for multimedia via the extra yum repositories. The network was opened with ifup ppp0 before startx ever ran. So what prerequisite configuration of gnome did I most likely neglect?