Re: Undesired slow-keys popup

Hi Jazz

Disabling this popup is in my opinion is not a good idea (at least as a default), because its purpose is:

1) to allow the user to easily revert the action;
2) to prevent more 'my keyboard is broken ' bug reports.

Disabling the keyboard shortcuts would prevent users who need this feature from using it.

Jazz Daq wrote:

Hi,

I use the keyboard accessibility features, in
particular, Mouse Keys.  However, there is an
accessibility feature that I find particularly
annoying:

If accessibility and Mouse Keys are enabled, and you
hold down the shift key for more than 8 seconds, a
popup appears, requesting:

  "Would you like to activate Slow Keys?"

When using certain applications, it is quite common to
hold the shift key or another key down for 8 seconds
during normal work, for multiple graphical item
selection, for example.  The unwanted appearance of
the Slow Keys dialog is quite annoying.  In addition
to its annoying presence, it causes the keyboard to
stop working in all applications until you press
Cancel.
It does not, of course, cause the keyboard to "stop working" - this impression is the primary reason that the we post the popup (to let the user know that their keyboard is not 'broken', but that keystrokes require a long acceptance time).

I would recommend disabling this automatic popup, or
allowing the user to selectively disable it.  I think
the former solution is better, because if a user is
able to turn on keyboard accessibility he/she can also
turn on Slow Keys manually.
This is not necessarily true. On most distros, keyboard accessibility it on by default (i.e. the SlowKeys and StickKeys shortcuts are available by default). The purpose of this is so that users who need these features can access them without, as you say, "turning on Slow Keys manually."

The ability to suppress the warning dialog (only) may be useful for users who already "know" what is happenning and don't need the reminder. I think that the real problem here is that the 'enable keyboard accessibility features' button in the Keyboard Accessibility Dialog is a mis-feature; it should turn on and off the keyboard shortcuts, but not keyboard accessibility features as a whole. This is the subject of bug 131339.

regards

Bill

Thanks for considering this request.  Best regards,

Dave.