Re: cut and paste in gnome-terminal

Greetings,

In the gnome-terminal cut & paste discussion, Mario Lang noted:

> We will
need mouse motion at some point anyway (some windows apps come to mind, where
the only way around certain accessibility problems is to go and use
the mouse somehow).  I kind of like the approach that JAWS
is taking here, you can switch between two cursors, the
editing cursor, and the mouse.  If you are in mouse mode, your arrow
keys move the mouse, and the display (braille or speech) follows.
Actually, in that mode you can even use the real mouse to navigate,
since your braille display will follow it around.
So ideally, I'd just switch to mouse mode, go where I need to start my cutting,
hold shift, and move the cursor to where my cut ends...
This could also be useful for people with certain physical disabilities.
I've known a girl once who had real difficulties holding her hands still.
Mouse usage was not easy for her, since the pointer used to jump
around on the screen.  She even got a special keyboard where the
keys were kind of holes, so that she wouldnt accidentally miss them.
A simple cursor based mouse movement method would probably have helped her.
(Maybe we already have that, but we'll need to make sure that it works in
combination with screen readers like say, gnopernicus)

Please note that a *limited* amount of mouse support *is* available with Gnopernicus now, assuming you have a Braille display. You can map "mouse click" to the cursor routing keys. Read to where you want to go to, hold the shift key, and press the cursor routing key on the letter you want to end your selection.

This isn't the solution that is recommended (still somewhat closer to a hack I'd say), but it may be helpful immediately.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team