Re: gnome-speech and suse,

Hi Nidhal:

If the gnome-speech "test-speech" application is installed on your
distribution, try running it.  Select the Festival synthesis driver
and see if it can speak.  If it doesn't, try running festival by
hand:

[wwalker gnome ~]$ festival
Festival Speech Synthesis System 1.95:beta July 2004
Copyright (C) University of Edinburgh, 1996-2004. All rights reserved.
For details type `(festival_warranty)'
festival> (SayText 'testing)
#<Utterance 0xb70e85b8>
festival>

If that works, then you're most likely running into the dreaded

  "You probably have a line in it similar to:

   127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

   You need to modify that line so that the first item is "127.0.0.1",
   and the second item is "localhost", like so:

   127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain"

To do more testing:

   1) First, kill all festival processes that might be running on
      your machine.

   2) Run festival-synthesis-driver in a separate window

   3) Run test-speech and keep an eye on what's going on in the
      festival-synthesis-driver window

Will

PS - For your distribution, your path of least resistance is probably
     to get Festival working right now.  Then, if you more daring,
     you can work on getting FreeTTS working, but it takes a little
     bit of work.