From: "Janina Sajka" <
janina rednote net>

To: "Al Puzzuoli" <
apuzzuoli comcast net>

Cc: "Gnome Accessibility" <
gnome-accessibility-list gnome org>

Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: FC4, inaccessibility of core system utilities?

Perhaps so, Al. However, I would question the value of starting with
apps such as you name, because the functionality these apps provide is
fully accessible at the console. So, that reduces us to every
application for a particular purpose needs to be accessible, which I
don't believe is particularly defensible. In other words, we need to be
able to perform the tasks, not use some particular app.

To be spe;cific, let me take the three you've named:

package manager
Your console options include rpm, yum, and the old Redhat up2date. Both
rpm and yum are fully accessible, imho.

user manager
You've got all the traditional tools, useradd, passwd, to say nothing of
the ability to edit the relevant files directly (/etc/passwd,
/etc/group, etc.). So, what's the problem?

internet configuration wizard
Here again, you have a plethera of tools that far exceed(I think) what
the wizzard would do. In addition to tools like ifconfig and iptables,
you've get a very accessible (imho) config tool via menu by typing

setup

at any console prompt.

If we need to pick a battle, I couldn't support picking this one.

Al Puzzuoli writes:
Hello ,
while working with Gnome on FC4, I am noticing that a lot of system
utilities still don't appear to have been ported to GTK2 and are
therefore
inaccessible.  Some of The ones I have encountered, just to name a few
include: package manager, , user manager, internet configuration
wizard...
The list goes on.

My questions are:
1.  Are most of the effected applications specific to the fedora
distribution or just part of Gnome in general?
2.  In either case as a concerned user, how can I help?    I know that
posting here is sort of like preaching to the quire, so are there other
lists on which it would help to increase awareness by posting these
concerns?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

--Al

Janina Sajka Phone: +1.202.494.7040
Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC
http://www.CapitalAccessibility.Com

Bringing the Owasys 22C screenless cell phone to the U.S. and Canada. Go
http://www.ScreenlessPhone.Com
to learn more.

Chair, Accessibility Workgroup Free Standards Group (FSG)

janina freestandards org
http://a11y.org