Re: FC4, inaccessibility of core system utilities?

Perhaps so, Al. However, I would question the value of starting with
apps such as you name, because the functionality these apps provide is
fully accessible at the console. So, that reduces us to every
application for a particular purpose needs to be accessible, which I
don't believe is particularly defensible. In other words, we need to be
able to perform the tasks, not use some particular app.

To be spe;cific, let me take the three you've named:

package manager
Your console options include rpm, yum, and the old Redhat up2date. Both
rpm and yum are fully accessible, imho.

user manager
You've got all the traditional tools, useradd, passwd, to say nothing of
the ability to edit the relevant files directly (/etc/passwd,
/etc/group, etc.). So, what's the problem?

internet configuration wizard
Here again, you have a plethera of tools that far exceed(I think) what
the wizzard would do. In addition to tools like ifconfig and iptables,
you've get a very accessible (imho) config tool via menu by typing

setup

at any console prompt.

If we need to pick a battle, I couldn't support picking this one.