From: "Al Puzzuoli" <
alpuzz comcast net>

To: "Gnome Accessibility List" <
gnome-accessibility-list gnome org>

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 8:54 PM
Subject: Problem with gnome-speech in FC4?

Hi everyone,

I have recently done clean installs of FC4 on two separate systems and on
both I am experiencing issues with Gnome-speech and Festival.  Details are
as follows:

I know that Festival itself works because I can activate it using brltty
and when I do so, I hear speech.   I believe sound support is set up
properly in gnome as well because I hear the test sound during firstboot.

I have run tests using the version of Gnome-speech that installs with FC4
as well as whichever version is in CVS as of august 2.

With the install version, test-speech can activate the Festival driver and
seemingly runs all the tests; However it does so in complete silence.  If
I run Gnopernicus, I get the same result-- Gnopernicus runs and shows that
speech is enabled but again in reality, there is no speech.
I have also checked out gnome-speech from CVS and built it using
"./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr"  However after installing this version,
things seem to get worse.  Test-speech completely freezes when it attempts
to activate the Festival driver and I am forced to break out with
control+c.

If anyone has thoughts on how to troubleshoot this further, they would be
much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

--Al