Re: gnome-accessibility-list digest, Vol 1 #775 - 2 msgs

Aaron wrote:

Thanks for the docs at

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkToggleButton.html

If there is no broader meaning for sensitive, then perhaps it would be better for ATK to use an "inconsistent" state that applies to toggle buttons?
For backwards-compatibility reasons we have to live with INSENSITIVE in any case.

I agree that the semantics are somewhat unclear. ATK does have STATE_INDETERMINATE now, to cover just such situations as a button which is neither-checked-nor-unchecked; this is a corner case of course, but it turns up surprisingly often.

As for SENSITIVE being misleading, one could say that the visuals are also misleading, since the usual meaning of a "greyed-out" element is "not enabled". I believe that it is this subtlety which is driving the use of two separate states here. Of the two, ENABLED is arguably the more important, and it's quite possible that AT-SPI/ATK clients which are currently testing the SENSITIVE state ought to just be testing ENABLED instead.

regards

Bill

As I understand the docs, an inconsistent toggle button can still be pressed -- only the visual appearance is affected. So, in my opinion saying that it is "insensitive" is actually misleading. It still accepts clicks/keyboard action.

- Aaron