Re: string-freeze exception request: add translated strings to GOK

tor 2003-10-02 klockan 13.34 skrev Bill Haneman:
> > That's why we have Bugzilla. Is this issue in a report somewhere?
> It is now ;-) - we don't in general have separate bugs for every
> translation-markup issue. 

Oh, thanks. Does it have a bug number?

> > > > I don't see why these messages need to be different.
> > >
> > > Hmm, ok, the difference is meaningful for diagnostic purposed (one is
> > > failure of the XKB extension generally, one is failure of a specific XKB
> > > API).
> > 
> > I don't really see how one added exclamation mark and newline signifies
> > that difference to the user?!
> The exclamation/newline change was not worth the bother, thanks for
> noting that.  I was referring to the "can't read geometry" versus "can't
> find xkb extension" issues.  We can make do with two strings, and one of
> them can be the already-existing one (i.e. omit the punctuation).

Yeah, I was trying to point out the inconsistency. If the messages are
identical, they can be translated just once by the translators instead
of twice and saving translators work, even though they in reality are
two more or less independant strings in different code paths.

> > > When will the GTP folks be looking at 2.5?  One motivation was to get
> > > the string exposed to the translators ASAP.
> > 
> > As soon as we have the new status pages code and/or create new pages
> > showing 2.6 modules. I don't know which needs to be coming first, but
> > we'll have them soon(tm).
> ok.  If the translation team (and release team) want to punt this to 2.6
> we will of course; we'd just then have to decide whether to branch now
> or keep the relevant patches in bugzilla for awhile.
> If OTOH you want us to try and fix GOK i18n on the 2.4 branch, let us
> know (and we'll use the exception process for patch requests).

As I said before, my personal opinion is that this can wait for 2.6,
since it's not a trivial fix and can possibly show problems that we
don't know of yet, and it's also not a regression. Kjartan and/or the
release team might be of another opinion though. I don't know.

If you decide to wait for 2.6, please consider branching for gnome-2-4
soon. This will allow you to put the patch into HEAD soon so that we can
have thorough testing of it in time for 2.6. Otherwise, I'm afraid we'll
be in the same situation when the 2.6 release is imminent and someone
suddenly remembers that there's this untested string-affecting patch
there waiting to be applied.


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]