What's Hogging My CPU?

Hello,

In the last few days, when I start gnome with Gnopernicus, work on it for
a while and then switch to a text mode console, everything will be all
right for some time. I can switch back and forth between Gnome and text
mode with no problem. However, after a while, something seems to start
eating up most of my CP*U time. The blinking cursor produced by brltty
slows down and odd characters may apopear, presumably on the screen. The
odd characters go away, and after a while the cursor slowdown goes away
too, but it reappears periodically. When I exit gnome normally the
problems go away. What could be causing this? I would think that X must be
stable, since it's been around for quite a while , so there must be some
problem with Gnome.

Thanks,
John

--