Re: problem configuring X on redhat 9

Nick,

Don't know how much this is going to help, but I'll give it a go. I had this same problem with an Nvidia card about 2 weeks ago after installing RH8. Same DDCprobe error and all. I solved this by going out to Nvidia and downloading their latest driver for Linux. I made sure that I was booted into the kernel I was using, and rebuilt the driver with rpmbuild --rebuild. I then had to edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file (after backing it up) to change the native "nv" driver to "nvidia." After I restarted "X" I then had my gui. Of course, this may be a problem for you. As far as my experience goes, the S3 cards have never really had great support for Linux.

Also, a friend tells me that you no longer have to use the "rpmbuild --rebuild" for the Nvidia driver (for RH9 that is). I have been told that the new RPM they have for RH9 should do a rebuild for the current kernel in use all on it's own. All you have to do is rpm -e the current Nvidia driver and then rpm -ivh the same rpm file from the Nvidia website under the new kernel.

Sorry if this doesn't help you out any. And I believe you couldn't find the binary for Xconfigurator because Redhat no longer provides it. Why I don't know. I was kind of upset when I tried to use it the first time on RH8. Seems to me the only alternative is to edit the XFree86 file by hand now.

Anybody else out there feel free to jump in...