Still no speech

I've tried running Gnopernicus as a new user, as my regular account, and
both as part of the Gnome startup and manually.  It starts every time but
never says anything.  I'm wondering if there is some environment variable
or configuration file I could set or check to see if speech is even turned
on in Gnopernicus?  I know a few others have used it with Festival.  Did
you do anything unusual when building Festival?  I'm grasping at straws
now!