mozilla speech fails.

Hi, list.
I've successfully compiled gnopernicus, currently using festival for a
synth, and I am able to navigate the gnome desktop, gnome main menu, and use
some apps like gedit and the gnome cd player with almost no problems.
However, when I go to the main menu, goto the internet menu, and select
mozilla or mozilla-mail speech stops. I can hit keys, and nothing happens.
Gnopernicus completely stops talking.
It also does this in the gnucash financial software and in ggnumeric which I
was truly hoping to look at. Any ideas why this happens, and is there a
solution?