Re: Any Gnome Hackers in Cambridge ma?

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 05:16, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 20:39, Rich Caloggero wrote:
> > I work part time for the MIT adaptive tech. lab and am interested in setting
> > up and evaluating Gnome/Gnopernicus. I know a bit about X, and I know my way
> > around Linux.
>
> 	Interesting; it's possible that someone from Ximian could help you -
> Luis may know someone.

I would have personally volunteered yesterday except I'm afraid I know
next to nothing about setting up the accessibility stuff- I've built gok
and friends, and that's about as far as I've gotten. :/ I'm afraid
that's also the same boat as most of us here in Boston. Perhaps I'll get
a decent tutorial in Ireland next week and come back brimming with
knowledge :)

> > My goal is to get Gnome up on a Redhat 7.1 box
>
> 	You are deliberately entering a world of pain; RH 7.1 has only 6 months
> of support left from RH, and that by the skin of it's teeth:
> https://www.redhat.com/apps/support/errata/

I might also note that running gnome 2 against the very old X server in
Red Hat 7.1, while workable, would be very slow. The install process for
RH9 is quite excellent and easy; I strongly recommend taking a couple of
hours and doing it.

> >  and then to build and test
> > Gnopernicus. However, I'm very much of a newbie, and I've gotten no where
> > with the standard garnome or go-gnome methods... I've built Apache and PHP
> > from sources, but Gnome seems about 3 orders of magnitude more complex than
> > either of these applications! <smile>
>
> 	IIWY I would not build Gnome from source; there are several ways to get
> a more up-to-date gnome; eg. upgrading to SuSE 8.2 / RH 9.0 / Mdk
> whatever. Another way is to grab 'XD2' - but we start support only at RH
> 7.3 -> 9.0.

Unfortunately, Ximian does not yet package the accessibility tools in
XD2- hopefully something we'll rectify in the near future.

Luis