Re: Any Gnome Hackers in Cambridge ma?

Hi Rich,

On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 20:39, Rich Caloggero wrote:
> I work part time for the MIT adaptive tech. lab and am interested in setting
> up and evaluating Gnome/Gnopernicus. I know a bit about X, and I know my way
> around Linux.

	Interesting; it's possible that someone from Ximian could help you -
Luis may know someone.

> My goal is to get Gnome up on a Redhat 7.1 box

	You are deliberately entering a world of pain; RH 7.1 has only 6 months
of support left from RH, and that by the skin of it's teeth:
https://www.redhat.com/apps/support/errata/

>  and then to build and test
> Gnopernicus. However, I'm very much of a newbie, and I've gotten no where
> with the standard garnome or go-gnome methods... I've built Apache and PHP
> from sources, but Gnome seems about 3 orders of magnitude more complex than
> either of these applications! <smile>

	IIWY I would not build Gnome from source; there are several ways to get
a more up-to-date gnome; eg. upgrading to SuSE 8.2 / RH 9.0 / Mdk
whatever. Another way is to grab 'XD2' - but we start support only at RH
7.3 -> 9.0.

> Might there be anyone around MIT on this list who might be able to spend a
> few hours helping me out in person, or  perhaps by phone?
>                     Rich  Caloggero
>                     MIT Adaptive Tech. for Info. and Computing

	If you really love punishment; there are several scripts 'jhbuild',
'garnome' that build big chunks of Gnome without human intervention -
which can be quite doable. I believe garnome now includes several of the
a11y related packages too.

	HTH,

		Michael.

--
 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot