Re: Compile errors (was Re: Accessibility of Gnome panel / How to end session via keyboard)

Le Mardi 8 Juillet 2003 18:22, John Zitterkopf a écrit :
> Subject: RE: gnome-accessibility-list digest, Vol 1 #521 - 6 msgs
>
> > From: "Thomas D. Ward" <tward1978 earthlink net>
> >
> > Hi.  I know that the Mandrake devel and source packages come with
> > the Delux/Power pack eddition. I know they also offer them in
> > cvs. I don't believe they have an iso cd of the sources for
> > download, and I know
> > the source doesn't come with the standard eddition you buy
> > only the $70 and
> > above version.
>
> See this just frustrates me.
>
> I thought the whole purpose of GPL / Open source is that the source
> code is readily available whenever you wanted. Having to purchase
> CDs or provide fees to "MandrakeClub" seems to violate the GPL to
> me.
>
> I understand that Mandrake want's to make $$$ of their packaging;
> but it seems that they are pushing the GPL license agreement to the
> extreme.

I really do not understand.
Who needs isos when you have everything available as packages ?
urpmi is the way to go, with the source I sent on my previous message.
(for -devel packages, not SRPMS)

You have plenty of -devel packages:
lynx -dump
ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux/distributions/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS
|fgrep "devel" |wc -l
   3153
 lynx -dump
ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux/distributions/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS2
|fgrep "devel" |wc -l
   3468

If you want SRPMS :
lynx -dump
ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux/distributions/Mandrake-devel/cooker/SRPMS
| fgrep ".src.rpm"|wc -l
	2611

> > From: Malcolm Tredinnick <malcolm commsecure com au>
> >
> > For most rpms, rpmfind.net is the way. But I had a quick look on
> > rpmfind.net and they do not seem to contain recent Mandrake
> > rpms either,
> > so I am not sure whether they are not releasing them or rpmfind
> > is saving space or what.
>
> Exactly. If it's Open source; why is it so hard to find the right
> information / source  to get this job done?

I don't know.
Do you use urpmi ?
Have you heard of
http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php ?

They need more publicity, for sure.

> > You clearly know what you are doing here, so I'm sure it will
> > sort itself out with a bit of persistence. Given that the errors
> > you were
>
> I have surpased persistence and if I didn't need to the patch for
> keyboard accessiblity; I would have given up long ago.

Well, I do find rpms lacking compared to the info I can get about .deb
on www.debian.org, but Mandrake cooker rpms are *really* good for
accessibility (except mozilla :-( ).

Maybe I can help you ?
I'am new to the list, so I don't know exactly what is your problem.
It seems related to compiling gnome-panel

ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux/distributions/Mandrake-devel/cooker/SRPMS/gnome-panel-2.3.3.1-1mdk.src.rpm

seems current enough ( you seemd to be using
gnome-panel-2.2.0.1.tar.gz )
OTH

> > seeing were in the construction of the command line and those
> > things *can* come from *.pc files, I would still be suspicious of
> > your manually
> > created files. I can really do no more than offer
> > encouragement at this
> > point.
>
> Thanks for your help with this. I'll try and spend some more time
> looking for -dev packages. As For Mandrake, I offer a finger for
> making this difficult beyond sanity. I *was* considering makeing a

Too bad :-(
I don't think that thay make it difficult on purpose ...
I'm sure they would appreciate help with reports about what's wrong
for end-users.

Bernard