Re: Compile errors (was Re: Accessibility of Gnome panel / How to end session via keyboard)

Subject: RE: gnome-accessibility-list digest, Vol 1 #521 - 6 msgs

> From: "Thomas D. Ward" <tward1978 earthlink net>
>
> Hi.  I know that the Mandrake devel and source packages come with the
> Delux/Power pack eddition. I know they also offer them in cvs.
> I don't believe they have an iso cd of the sources for
> download, and I know
> the source doesn't come with the standard eddition you buy
> only the $70 and
> above version.

See this just frustrates me.

I thought the whole purpose of GPL / Open source is that the source code is readily available whenever you wanted. Having to purchase CDs or provide fees to "MandrakeClub" seems to violate the GPL to me.

I understand that Mandrake want's to make $$$ of their packaging; but it seems that they are pushing the GPL license agreement to the extreme.

> From: Malcolm Tredinnick <malcolm commsecure com au>
>
> For most rpms, rpmfind.net is the way. But I had a quick look on
> rpmfind.net and they do not seem to contain recent Mandrake
> rpms either,
> so I am not sure whether they are not releasing them or rpmfind is
> saving space or what.

Exactly. If it's Open source; why is it so hard to find the right information / source  to get this job done?

> You clearly know what you are doing here, so I'm sure it will sort
> itself out with a bit of persistence. Given that the errors you were

I have surpased persistence and if I didn't need to the patch for keyboard accessiblity; I would have given up long ago.

> seeing were in the construction of the command line and those things
> *can* come from *.pc files, I would still be suspicious of
> your manually
> created files. I can really do no more than offer
> encouragement at this
> point.

Thanks for your help with this. I'll try and spend some more time looking for -dev packages.
As For Mandrake, I offer a finger for making this difficult beyond sanity.
I *was* considering makeing a donation; but after this BS... that is no longer an option.

John