Re: installing OpenOffice

Hi Jane,

> Hi.  I downloaded OpenOffice 1.1 beta2 and I can't install it.  Whenever I
> try to run the setup program, I don't get any speech from Gnopernicus.
> I have "ORBIIOPIPv4=1" in my .orbitrc file and I have J2sdk 1.4.2
> installed.  I have Java-access-bridge installed from CVS as of yesterday.
> What am I missing?

My .orbitrc file also contains the line "ORBIIOPUNIX=1".  In addition, you
need to modify your J2SDK installation to enable Java Accessibility support to
interoperate with GNOME Accessibility.  Do the following:

[assuming your GNOME installation is in /opt/gnome-2.2 and your J2SDK is in
/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2]

 % ln -s /opt/gnome-2.2/share/jar/accessibility.properties  \
    /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2/jre/lib/accessibility.properties
 % ln -s /opt/gnome-2.2/share/jar/gnome-java-bridge.jar  \
    /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2/jre/lib/ext/gnome-java-bridge.jar

Verify this is working within Java by executing the Stylepad sample
application:

 % cd /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2/demo/jfc/Stylepad
 % /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2/bin/java -jar Stylepad.jar

If you are getting feedback from Gnopernicus from Stylepad (it should feel
very much like Text Editor), then your Java environment is working and you
should give OpenOffice 1.1 beta2 another try.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team