Re: Gnopernicus Error

Hi Janina,

> Just checked out the and compiled--no problems there. When I launch, I
> get the following error, though Gnopernicus does launch and talk:
>
> GTK Accessibility Module initialized
> gnopernicus-Message: speech initialization succeded
>
> (srcore:24943): gnopernicus-WARNING **: Exception "Unknown CORBA
> exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/NO_IMPLEMENT:1.0'" occured at line 429.

This warning does not indicate that something is broken.  It is quite likely
that your problem is that the accessibility machinery isn't turned on on a
fresh install of the world (you mentioned elsewhere that you had done
that).  We're working on a GUI setting to turn this on (yah, lots of help to
you!), but meanwhile you can do so from the command line by modifying the
appropriate GConf setting.  The attached script is a handy way to do this -
just run it from the command line to determine what the setting is set to or
to set it.

> One more thing ...
>
> Now what? I forgot how we go to the "Start Menu." Was that Shift+Alt+TAB
> that we learned at the CSUN hands on? Guess not, or mine is broke! <grin>
>
> Kind of boring just listening to Gnopernicus configurations!

The GNOME 2.2 Accessibility guide has all this, at:
http://www.gnome.org/learn/access-guide/2.2/gnome-access-guide.html

And specifically the keyboard shortcuts section, at:
http://www.gnome.org/learn/access-guide/2.2/gnome-access-guide.html#keynav-0

Use Ctrl-Alt-Tab to cycle between the various gnome panels (like the menu
bar panel) and the desktop.  Once on the menu panel, F10 will bring up the
first menu (in this case the Applications menu, which is the moral
equivalent of the "Start menu").

Regards,

Peter

> [...]
> > >  > >  > >  > > happens hotting tab, alt, arrow keys and I get nothing.  It always
> > >  > >  > >  > > says welcome to gnopernicus, so its running and the message says
> > >  > >  > >  > > speech initialization successful on the text console, but
> > >  > > that's all
> > >  > >  > >  > > I get.
> > >  > >  > >  > >
> > >  > >  > >  > > Well, what do I do from here?
> > >  > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > >  > The accessibility machinery needs to be turned on for Gnopenricus
> > >  > > to read
> > >  > >  > >  > the contents of applications.  The attached script is nice to use to
> > >  > >  > > modify
> > >  > >  > >  > the GConf setting to make this happen.  Re-start your gnome
> > >  > > session after
> > >  > >  > >  > you run this script.
> > >  > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > >  > Peter#!/bin/sh
> > >  > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > >  > if test $# -eq 0
> > >  > >  > >  >      then gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility
> > >  > >  > >  > fi
> > >  > >  > >  >
> > >  > >  > >  > if test $# -eq 1
> > >  > >  > >  >      then if test $1 = on -o $1 = true
> > >  > >  > >  >              then gconftool-2 -s
> > >  > > /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility \
> > >  > >  > >  >                              -t bool true
> > >  > >  > >  >      elif test $1 = off -o $1 = false
> > >  > >  > >  >              then gconftool-2 -s
> > >  > > /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility \
> > >  > >  > >  >                              -t bool false
> > >  > >  > >  >      else echo gnome-accessibility: unknown command $1
> > >  > >  > >  >      fi
> > >  > >  > >  > fi
> > >  > >  > >
> > >  > >  > >--
> > >  > >  > >          John Covici
> > >  > >  > >          covici ccs covici com
> > >  > >  > >_______________________________________________
> > >  > >  > >gnome-accessibility-list mailing list
> > >  > >  > >gnome-accessibility-list gnome org
> > >  > >  > >http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-accessibility-list
> > >  > >
> > >  > >--
> > >  > >          John Covici
> > >  > >          covici ccs covici com
> > >  > >_______________________________________________
> > >  > >gnome-accessibility-list mailing list
> > >  > >gnome-accessibility-list gnome org
> > >  > >http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-accessibility-list
> > >
> > > --
> > >          John Covici
> > >          covici ccs covici com
>
> --
>
>                                 Janina Sajka, Director
>                                 Technology Research and Development
>                                 Governmental Relations Group
>                                 American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
>
> Email: janina afb net           Phone: (202) 408-8175
#!/bin/sh

if test $# -eq 0
	then gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility

		then gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility \
				 -t bool true
	elif test $1 = off -o $1 = false