no speech out of gnopernicus except welcome

Hi.  After getting cvs versions of gnopernicus, atk at-spi and of
course the famous gtk-doc, I cannot get gnopernicus to say anything
after the welcome message -- I can run gnome-panel, and nothing
happens hotting tab, alt, arrow keys and I get nothing.  It always
says welcome to gnopernicus, so its running and the message says
speech initialization successful on the text console, but that's all
I get.

Well, what do I do from here?

Thanks.

--