Re: [g-a-devel] my atspi examples available

On 12/11/14 17:17, Magdalen Berns wrote:
Hi Alejandro,

Great idea! I'm happy to clone that and add some _javascript_ and python work, if this is useful. From my end, I would be keen to see some C examples on there as I feel this would be very informative.

Ok. As I mentioned, right now there are more C examples that other languages examples. So a first task could be port those C examples (and functionality) to other language. Until they became somewhat mature, I prefer to maintain it as a private github repository. Anyone can use github issues and pull request to propose new code, instead of GNOME bugzilla.

I'm indifferent to that though I hear some people have issues about the licensing of github itself so maybe at some point it might become an issue. For now in my view at least, it probably doesn't really matter where this is. That is as long as it's referenced on the wiki or somewhere obvious like that then I would imagine that people should be able to find it.
I suspect emphasising good documentation practice for this module will increase it's usefulness to those wishing to learn from the examples themselves. Perhaps it is worth taking some time to establish some sort of "documentation practices" guide for the module so that developers wishing to add code examples in for each of the relevant languages concerned, are prompted to mind to that stuff when submitting new examples?
Ok, but I don't think that something really complex or formal are needed. Eventually I will write a informal guide. In general, I think that the more important aspect is keep in mind that those are examples, not full programs, so they should be small, and probably focused on specific features/API of the libatspi library.

That sound reasonable. I am just thinking of people who are new to atspi and who may be a bit confused about what it all means. If we are going to go to the trouble of writing examples in the first place then it's probably worth ensuring those who stumble across them are always provided with the following information, at the very least:

1. How to run them
2. What interface the examples are calling methods from
3. Simple use cases to provide some context

1. is something that can be explained in a blanket way for each language folder, I guess. 2 probably needs to be done in the code. Not sure where 3 would go. Maybe a README. There are already some pyatspi2 examples so I'll test those and see if any of them still work or need to be updated, before sending a pull request.

Magdalen