Re: [g-a-devel] [Fwd: Mousetweaks: integrate into GNOME Shell or keep in its current form?]

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Piñeiro <apinheiro igalia com> wrote:

As I've said to Joanie and API in Montreal, we probably need a privileged Wayland interface for ATs to obtain global information like the pointer position and the surface under the pointer. This will be needed to support some of orcas functionality. And I don't think it makes sense to fold the screenreader into the compositor.

Could you elaborate "fold the screenreader into the compositor"?  The thread that forwarded Magdalen got somewhat messy after several answers, but as far as I understood, we never proposed to move the screenreader to the compositor. We were just debating about some functionality/info that we got from X, and that now we need to get from somewhere else (Wayland or the compositor).

We all agree that the screenreader should remain separate.

I was just arguing that even though the separate screenreader will need a privileged interface to learn about some compositor internals, and even though this interface could in theory be extended to allow mousetweaks-like functionality to be implemented outside the compositor, the cases are different and it makes a lot more sense to move mousetweaks functionality into the compositor.