Re: [g-a-devel] [Fwd: Mousetweaks: integrate into GNOME Shell or keep in its current form?]

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com>
To: Piñeiro <apinheiro igalia com>
Cc: gnome-accessibility-devel gnome org, gnome-shell-list <gnome-shell-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: [g-a-devel] [Fwd: Mousetweaks: integrate into GNOME Shell or keep in its current form?]
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 08:45:13 -0500

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Piñeiro <apinheiro igalia com> wrote:

As I've said to Joanie and API in Montreal, we probably need a privileged Wayland interface for ATs to obtain global information like the pointer position and the surface under the pointer. This will be needed to support some of orcas functionality. And I don't think it makes sense to fold the screenreader into the compositor.

Did I say that? If I did do, I apologise! It would have been an accidental slip. I definately was thinking of the onscreen keyboard when I spoke of the GUADEC discussions. Sorry if that was me confusing everyone! I just was reminded of the chats about caribou which is probably going to need to work with mousetweaks in order for mousetweaks to be build into g-s.

      The thread that forwarded Magdalen got somewhat messy after several answers,
Yes, sorry it was because there was no one thread with enough responses on there to use to i just copied the whole set of emails and pasted them. I was keen not to edit what was said and knew nobody would be afraid to ask for clarity so on balance the lesson here might be that I should have thought to raise the topic here before it got this long!

      We all agree that the screenreader should remain separate.
Yes

      I was just arguing that even though the separate screenreader will need a privileged interface to learn about some compositor internals, and even though this interface could in theory be extended to allow mousetweaks-like functionality to be implemented outside the compositor, the       cases are different and it makes a lot more sense to move mousetweaks functionality into the compositor.

I pretty much agree with what you have said on this so far. In my opinion this is a good idea too, because it seems it would reduce the need to reinvent the wheel especially since it seems to create many problems with the listeners trying to use dbus... Would that allow for the desktop to execute dbus-daemon configuration for that interface just once, at the start of the session?

Cheers,
Magdalen