Re: [g-a-devel] RFC: AtkText simplification

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 11:03:14AM -0400, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
On 05/05/2013 09:37 PM, Trevor Saunders wrote:

I wonder if there is a reason you prefer this approach to the ia2 one in
which after / before varients are kept,  but only the actual contents of
the word / line / whatever are returned not the word / line and the
whitespace before or after depending?

This approach seems simpler to me:
* One method rather than three

This is fair, but I'm not sure that its that hard to implement before /
after with most of the same logic as at.

* A given block of text is neatly chopped up with no "scraps" left over,
  thus the user is always in a defined text boundary.

On the other hand now "words" contain whitespace, and sentences contain
the whitespace between them which seems pretty odd to me.  I imagine for
example if you're writing a program that highlights text as it is read
you do not want to include the whitespace in the current text.

Is there some reason why you want to implement three methods instead of

in a green field not really.  On the other hand if we assume I already
have an implementation of the ia2 API wouldn't my life be easier if I
could just use that as the atk impl too?

one? And given that there are four text boundaries (char, word, line,
sentence) that means handling 12 cases instead of four.

I think the impl of the 3 methods for each boundary type can mostly be
shared, and see above its 0 extra work if you're already implementing
ia2 anyway.

thanks!

Trev

On a related note, there were very few instances in Orca of the END
boundary. And now there are none. Orca master is strictly relying upon
the AT flavor when getting text and is only getting text for the START
variant. the ATK and AT-SPI2 text simplification can safely begin now.
<smiles>

--joanie