Re: [g-a-devel] Gail next steps (was Re: GTK and ATK)

> Anyway, I thought that the first step here was to migrate the
> current gail (with their virtues and drawbacks) to gtk. And although
> things would be easier with a good atk documentation, Im not sure if
> this is a blocking here.

well, I'm not sure it is absolutely blocking, but I would think this is
and the tests are a very strong desire.  Because even if I didn't go out
of my way to implement atk the right way I'm sure some things would have
to change when moving from the gtk internal api to the internal one.
I'd also want to implement things correctly the first time instead of
hoping I'd come back and do that later.

> >2. Test that the accessible implementations actually follow that spec.
> >
> >I want to be able to have a unit test in the GTK+ repository that
> >instantiates a widget, gets the corresponding accessible, and then
> >verifies that it has the expected properties. If we had such
> >testcases, it would not have taken 9 months from me committing the
> >breaking change to me committing the fix. On the other hand, the fact

that's a pretty sad state of afairs for gtk.  I'm not sure how to
specify exactly what the name / description of an atk object should be,
but I think its fairly expected that the name of a menu item is the
label of the entry (honestly if you asked what I would call the text on
a menu entry I would say name).  I'm not sure how to specify exactly
what the name / description of an atk object should be, but I think its
fairly expected that the name of a menu item is the label of the entry
(honestly if you asked what I would call the text on a menu entry I
would say name).  fwiw
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd318483%28v=vs.85%29.aspx is
the equivelent value on windows and is specified only a little more
specificily.  I don't intend this as any thing approaching a spec but
the many of Geckos relevant tests can be found at
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/find?text=&string=accessible%2Ftests%2Fmochitest%2Fname
I'm not sure what other toolkits that implement atk have test sweets
testing there implementation.

> >that nobody filed a bug maybe tells us something about the amount of
> >real-life usage that the gnome3 accessibility stack currently gets...

well, it is, but that's kind of meaningless since afaik very few people
use gtk from git instead they use whatever there distro ships, and afaik
distros either only recently started shipping gtk 3 / gnome 3 or haven't
done so yet.  So I'm not very suprised that no users have complained
about this.

Trev