Re: [g-a-devel] Trying to understand STATE_SENSITIVE

Here's the Javadoc from AccessibleState in the Swing toolkit:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/javax/accessibility/AccessibleState.html#ENABLED

If I recall correctly from when I helped define/write the Java
Accessibility API almost 10 years ago(!), it corresponds directly to the
value set here:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/awt/Component.html#setEnabled(boolean)

When I look at the Java access bridge for GNOME, however, I see that
perhaps my interpretation of SENSITIVE and ENABLED seems to be different
from the interpretation made by the author of the bridge:

http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/java-access-bridge/trunk/bridge/org/GNOME/Accessibility/StateTypeAdapter.java?content-type=text%2Fplain

In any case, it looks like the Java API's use 'enabled' as their word.
The word 'sensitive' seems to be a GTK-ism, and I'm guessing the whole
enabled/sensitive state thing was invented with the AT-SPI.  At this
point in time, however, I'm not sure of the value in upsetting the apple
cart -- the best thing would be to make the docs better.

Will