Re: [g-a-devel] Gnome accessibility projects list

Aaron Leventhal, le Fri 27 Oct 2006 12:35:30 -0400, a écrit :
> For the high quality translation and format to happen automatically,
> you'd have to have something come through CUPS other than raw text. It
> would need to be a structured document of some kind.

Mmm, are you saying that CUPS should do the translation itself, or
should the translation be done before submitting to CUPS?
(actually, even the translation is done by an external tools, cups may
call it itself when a .txt file is submitted to an embosser).

> Yes, the translation, formatting and editing could happen in OOo first
> and then send the BRF to CUPS. However, what if you want to emboss high
> quality Braille From a web page in Firefox? I guess it would need
> something it could send an HTML page to and get the BRF back, before
> sending it to CUPS.

Mmm, maybe not HTML.  You could take the same example with spreadsheet
documents, presentations, ... Hardly any document actually.  There is
a notion of AccessibleDocument which is being discussed on a11y.org (I
don't know how advanced it is), which is supposed to cover any case.
Applications could submit their document in an AccessibleDocument format
to the braille translation tool.

> Anyway, we'd need to think of how the architecture should work for the
> big picture. We have a big opportunity to much better integration of
> Braille technologies in FOSS than we have on proprietary platforms.

Yes, that's why FOSS rocks :)

Samuel